(I don't like this theme anymore and will be changing it. Sometime... Later... Maybe...)
Hi! I'm Jessica.
I'm a writer. At the moment it's mostly BBC Sherlock fanfiction (found here on my AO3 account) and some original stories (that I don't post online but would be happy to talk about!).
I'm a multi-fandom and multi-shipping blog, so I'm kind of all over the place.
Fandoms I'm in so far:
Welcome to Night Vale,
and many others.
hello, fanfiction writers! i’m making this post because i’ve seen some deaf clint barton stories going around, and there are a lot of misconceptions about hearing loss and hearing aids and all that jazz, so since i’m hard of hearing, i thought i’d bring up a few common misconceptions.
- clint just reads everyone’s lips and understands exactly what people are saying. this is basically impossible. only 30% of spoken english can be lipread. for me, if i can hear your vowels and read your lips at the same time, i can typically get what you’re saying, but that’s not a guarantee. clint also wouldn’t be able to pick up lipreading overnight. that’s an acquired skill.
- hearing aids! there are many different types of hearing aids, so make sure you do your research on those. there are BTE (behind the ear) hearing aids, which are the most common. then there are the RITE (receiver in the ear), CIC (completely in canal), ITC (in the canal), ITE (in the ear) hearing aids. even if you’re going to have tony stark whip up some cool state of the art hearing aids for clint, it’s helpful for you to know which style tony would be modeling these after. keep in mind that some hearing aids don’t have an off switch—the only ways to turn those hearing aids off are to take the batteries out, which you need to do every night while the hearing aids themselves chill in a dehumidifier overnight.
- american sign language is just like spoken english. not true. american sign language is a complex language with its own grammar and syntax. make sure you research american sign language. watch videos, read books, learn as much as you can. you don’t have to learn the language, but familiarize yourself with it. you also can’t learn ASL overnight, so clint can’t just read a book on it and then be an expert the next day.
- hearing aids fix everything and make his hearing normal. hearing aids do NOT fix everything. they HELP, they do not FIX. so even if clint wears hearing aids, his hearing will not be 100% perfect. he’ll still miss pieces of the conversation. he’ll still have to ask people to repeat themselves. not all the time, but it’ll still happen. he won’t magically become hearing because he’s wearing hearing aids. remember: they’re called hearing AIDS not hearing FIXES.
- two days later, clint is back to shooting arrows perfectly. this isn’t true. when the inner ear suffers severe trauma, it freaks out. as a result of the traumatic way clint loses his hearing, he would have acute unilateral vestibulopathy. symptoms of this include: severe dizziness, nausea, blurry vision, everything moving around so his eyes would be darting about trying to make his vision be still, and possibly neck pain. his balance would be thrown way off whack, and he wouldn’t be able to walk very well after two days, let alone try to shoot a bow and arrow. typically, these symptoms last anywhere from a few weeks to a month, depending on the type of injury. but make sure you research this yourself, so you know more specific details! my really awesome friend gave me the information on this, so shoutout to her!
ok! i think i covered the most common misconceptions. if you have any further questions, and you feel comfortable asking me, go ahead! i am more than happy to answer any questions to the best of my abilities. i think it’s awesome that marvel is now incorporating a superhero that isn’t fully abled. it’s about time the rest of us got some representation. go forth, and write well!
the cops in ferguson would rather waste their time and resources terrorizing a whole community than punish one racist murderer
the pacific rim au of legally blonde though:
elle woods trying to get into jaeger academy to win back warner.
"you got into jaeger academy?" "what, like it’s hard?"
elle woods being drift compatible with vivian.
elle falling for LOCCENT officer emmett.
elle and vivian piloting a jaeger called delta nu.
THE BEND AND SNAP AS A FIGHTING TECHNIQUE